We know there are tons of new troop support organizations out there so please be an educated supporter. Check them out before you join and especially before you contribute.
Sadly, there are many people trying to take advantage of our patriotism these days. We've found that some of these so called troop support organizations are harvesting names and addresses of service members and their supporters without their permission.
We've also found that the many are not registered charities nor are they registered to solicit contributions. Unfortunately, some of these groups are not even registered businesses at all.
Though we understand everyone's willingness to show their support for our service members it is extremely important that you do this only through legitimate organizations for your safety and that of our troops.
For your convenience, we've put together a few questions you can ask of any group you wish to join that states they are supporting the troops:
- Are they a registered organization/business or just an online group? (Beware of online groups - there is no accountability)
- What state are they registered in? (All legitimate businesses are registered with the state)
- Do they have the right to solicit as a charity in their state? How about additional states? (You have to register to solicit)
- What is their mailing address?
- What percentage of donations go directly to supporting the troops?
- Who should donations be made out to? (Beware if it is not the name of the organization)
These are just a few important things to know BEFORE you join and BEFORE you send money or donate items. Remember, legitimate organizations have business licenses and are registered with their respective states. Take the time to check them out and be an educated supporter.
If you've been looking for a way to support our troops, now you can. Participate in one of our many projects or register with eMOM and sign up to correspond with service members one-on-one. Learn more about our holiday project to support our troops.
[ Tags: eMOM, eMailOurMilitary, eMail Our Military Blog, Honor Duty eMail, Military Support Groups, Charitable Organizations, Troop Support Advice ] If you're reading this via email or in your feedreader, be sure to stop by and tell us your thoughts.
If you're reading this via email or in your feedreader, be sure to stop by and tell us your thoughts.